7 ways to make the most annoying website
Mittwoch, 19. August 2009
Remember the list you are going to see now is "don’t do" list. These are the points which will annoy the users and abstain from visiting your site. If you take these points literally, then your website will become a history. Here are some of the don’ts for your website although they are read like do's.
1. Place some or all of the content in a small frame and force the visitors to read through that small window. Don’t think that we are referring to small frame in the literal sense even if the frame is big enough; it is considered too small by most of the visitors. This trick has high annoyance value as the visitors have to go through the pain of viewing the information through that small little window and scroll up and down to see the text while the rest of the browser is full of information they are not interested in at the moment. With this strategy, users cannot maximize the window to make their reading more pleasurable or readable. By using this strategy you will be able to frustrate those visitors and as a bonus make them leave your site.
2. Disable the right click option of the browser. People tend to use the right click menu for many purposes and they can as well use the same function through the main menu bar even after you have disabled it. In any case, if your aim is to annoy the users.
3. Play background music once the user visits your site. if that is not annoying enough then make sure that you loop the music so that the visitors are plagued by it continuously while they are on your site or on every page of your website. You don’t have to bother about the choice of music as even if you pick your favorite tune it will be enough to annoy most of the visitors as one man’s meat in another man’s poison.
4. Make every link of your page to open in a new window or a new tab each time the visitor clicks on it. This happens when you put target=”_blank” to every link. This will annoy the visitors each time they try to click on a link in your site a new tab or window opens. Another reward what you get from it is that it makes your site look unprofessional.
5. Force your visitors to navigate your website using Flash. This happens when you tend to place all the content in a Flash file – text, pictures, links etc. (mind you a straight HTML page is best for any type of content). Or force the visitors who don’t have Flash plugin enabled to enable them or install them to even view your website. This will eventually drive away all mobile users, a group of users that is growing in size, as well as cripple your visitors who have come to expect certain facilities to always be available in their browsers (such as the BACK key and the ability to bookmark specific pages) when they visit websites. From then on they will be forced to work through the limited functions Flash plugin of their browser with whatever features you wish to provide. In fact, the excessive use of flash in your site might as well help you in dropping your site rate to the bottom page of the search engine listings and hence reducing the number of visitors to your site. After all, if you don’t have visitors you might not have to think of ways to annoy them.
6. Load the website with pop-up windows that open the minute visitor visits your page and leave the page. Besides, if you are not satisfied you can annoy them further by adding a pop-up window when they click on any link on your site.
7. Reduce the navigation ability of your website. Don’t put site maps or navigation bars with shortcut links to pages that your visitors will usually want to use such as the “Download” page option. If you can annoy users by forcing them to read whole pages of your text before they can find a link to move on.
So here are the seven quick ways which you can use to annoy, frustrate and irritate your visitors. If worked up on them they will even be useful in driving your regular visitors away permanently. Of course there are many other ways but the above mentioned ways are easy methods which are easily doable by any new webmaster in the field. Hence try to avoid such things and make your website simple and easy to navigate. Avoid implementing all such things which annoy and drive away the visitors from visiting your site.